Located in Charleston, South Carolina, Naval Hospital Charleston has been around for quite some time. But it wasn’t always called Naval Hospital Charleston. In the beginning, the land that is currently NH Charleston was established as the Charleston Navy Yard, on June 7, 1900. On November 2, 1902, the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery bought almost 100 acres of the land from the city of Charleston. The Bureau was located on the northwest side of the existing Navy yard, and later on in the century, roughly 50 acres of land was transferred to the Yard, leaving around 43 acres to the hospital.
The Charleston Navy Hospital was officially launched on the 14th of February, 1970. The hospital boasted 500 beds, and replaced the current medical facility in the area. By March 1973 the hospital was completed. It had taken more than 3 years and $18.5 million dollars to build, but it has been in use since its creation, and has served thousands of military personnel and their families. By 1992, there were more than 1,200 personnel working at the hospital, and hundreds of thousands had been admitted and treated successfully.